T’was the Night Before Christmas…10 of My Favourite Christmas Quotes

Photo: Commons Wikimedia
Photo: Commons Wikimedia

Three days from Christmas Eve and I still need to remind myself that Christmas is upon us. The Christmas feeling of excitement  I usually get this time of year has been very slow in arriving this year. I am not sure why. I don’t know whether it’s because I have had my fair share of bereavement in 2015 and don’t feel much like celebrating, or whether I have arrived at the end of the year feeling tired. It certainly took my husband and I a long time to finally decide to decorate our Christmas tree, but I am glad we made the effort. Our home now has a warm, cosy and comforting feeling.

I was trying to think what to write in my last post before Christmas that wasn’t tinged with sadness, and after much thought, I decided to find out what Christmas means to people. I researched quotes by different people that have been recorded in song, poetry, literature or hearsay and picked 10 of my favourite. Some are funny and some are poignant. I’d like to share them here with you.

The earth has grown old with its burden of care, but at Christmas it always is young, the heart of the jewel burns lustrous and fair, and its soul full of music breaks the air, when the song of angels is sung. (Phillip Brooks)

Christmas… is not an external event at all, but a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart. (Freya Stark)

There are some people who want to throw their arms (hug) round you simply because it is Christmas; there are other people who want to strangle you simply because it is Christmas. (Robert Staughton Lynd)

Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values.(Thomas S. Monson)

It is a fine seasoning for joy to think of those we love(Moliere)


Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn’t come from a store.
 (Dr Seuss)


Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone. (Charles M. Schulz)

I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. (Charles Dickens)

I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.(Shirley Temple)

T’was the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. (Clement Clarke Moore)

Aside from the chaos of cooking, present buying, and those annoying distant relatives (!), Christmas should be a time when we reflect on what is good in our lives and find the strength to deal with the difficulties that we inevitably have. With that in mind, I wish those of you who celebrate a magical and reflective Christmas.

Merry Christmas, folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 phrases for closing an email..

A2 Reading: Daily Routine

Formal and Informal Email Phrases – from Greetings to Closing Phrases!